› 2 medium eggs
› 125 ml of vegetable oil
› 1 teaspoon salt
› 250 ml of milk (low-fat works fine)
› 250 g of golden castor sugar
› 400 g of self-raising
flour (or 400 g plain
flour and 3 teaspoon
For fruit muffins:
Use 3 dessertspoons of the following: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries,
cherries, cubed apple and cinnamon.
For Christmas muffins:
Add a good handful of cranberries, a teaspoon of cinnamon and mixed
spice, and use brown sugar instead of white.
For Lemon muffins:
Add juice and rind of 1 lemon (use slightly less milk).
For jam and coconut muffins:
Add 3 dessertspoons of desiccated coconut to the mixture, and place a
teaspoon of raspberry jam to the top of each muffin before you put them
into the oven.
1. Heat oven to 180°C fan or Gas Mark 6.
2. Line 2 muffin trays with paper muffin cases.
3. Beat the eggs lightly with a wooden spoon for about one minute.
4. Add the oil and the milk and beat until mixed.
5. Add the sugar and mix until you have a smooth batter.
6. Sift in the flour and salt and mix until smooth. Don’t over mix.
7. At this stage gently mix in whatever other ingredients you decide to
use (see above) – or you can just leave them plain.
8. Fill muffin cases two-thirds full and bake for 20–25 minutes, until
they are risen.
9. Cool on a wire tray.
24 adults 24