› 180 g of margarine (at room temperature)
› 180 g of castor sugar
› 3 large eggs
› 180 g of self-raising flour, sieved
› 1 dessertspoon of coffee essence
› 225 g of icing sugar
› 1 teaspoon of coffee essence
› 10 ml of low-fat milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
2. Place all the ingredients for the cake in a mixing bowl and beat
with a wooden spoon until well mixed (2–3 minutes).
3. Place half the mixture in each of the prepared tins.
4. Bake in the preheated oven for 25–35 minutes.
5. When cooked remove from the tins and allow to cool on a wire tray.
To make icing
Place all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and beat with a
wooden spoon until smooth.
To finish cake
1. Sandwich the two cakes with a little of the icing.
2. Pipe the remaining icing on top of the cake.
Grease tins and put circle of
greaseproof paper at base of each tin.
To make a chocolate
cake substitute 110 g
flour and 50 g drinking
chocolate for 180 g flour
(omit coffee essence).
4 adults and 4 kids 4 4
2×6½” or 7½” (16cm or
19cm) sandwich tins